Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Havent been with husband in years what do i do about not rememebering his social etc.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
HelenC12
Expert Alumni

Havent been with husband in years what do i do about not rememebering his social etc.

The IRS requires that you enter your wife's DOB and SSN if you want to e-file and so the IRS can match your tax return information to your husband's tax return information.

• For example: if you itemize your deductions, your spouse will have to itemize his deductions.

If you want to mail in your tax return, you could leave the information off of the return with a letter explaining why his information is missing.

Note: You may be able to file as Head of Household. Please see: Can a married person claim Head of Household filing status?

If you don't know his SSN, to find the SSN: 

Note: If you still can't find it, you will have to file by mail.  You can write "refused" in the place for the SSN, and attach a written statement describing your situation, giving as much contact info you have about him (name, DOB, last known address, relatives addresses, etc.).

Additional information: Is it better for a married couple to file jointly or separately?

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

How did you file last year?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies