turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Have 1099R. Check was made to me but did rollover entire amount. TT does not ask me if I rollover the money so it is taxing me plus penalty. code in box 7 is 1D

When I key the 1099-R I do not get the option to choose that I made a rollover with this money.  The rollover was done on time as I endorsed the check the day after I received it and gave it to the broker to put into the rollover acct. Another IRA Annuity account.  I have tried entering the 1099R and then deleting it and reentering it and it is still the same. 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
dmertz
Level 15

Have 1099R. Check was made to me but did rollover entire amount. TT does not ask me if I rollover the money so it is taxing me plus penalty. code in box 7 is 1D

The code D  in the '1D' indicates that the distribution was from a nonqualified annuity.  A distribution from a nonqualified annuity is not permitted to be rolled over.  Any amount in box 2a is subject to tax and to an early-distribution penalty.  If the distribution was actually from an IRA annuity, contact the payer to obtain a corrected Form 1099-R.

Any deposit into an IRA of money distributed from a nonqualified annuity would be a new regular contribution to the IRA, not a rollover contribution.  A new contribution must be entered under Deductions & Credits -> Retirement and Investments -> Traditional and Roth IRA Contributions.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies