Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

jt108
Returning Member

got 1099R box 7 code M as distribution for 401K loan with previous jobs; turbotax suggest I can still repay or deposit to traditional IRA as roll over or repayment before tax deadline April 15 2021; how to file or do the paperwork for it?

got 1099R box 7 code M as distribution for 401K loan with previous jobs; turbotax suggest I can still repay or deposit to traditional IRA as roll over or repayment before tax deadline April 15 2021; how to file or do the paperwork for it? I have the money to repay the loan via deposit to Fidelity or Merrill Lynch or any bank; but what do I need to avoid being taxes or penalty?  I am over 55 for tax year 2020.  Thank you. 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
dmertz
Level 15

got 1099R box 7 code M as distribution for 401K loan with previous jobs; turbotax suggest I can still repay or deposit to traditional IRA as roll over or repayment before tax deadline April 15 2021; how to file or do the paperwork for it?

You have until the due date of your tax return, including extensions, to complete a rollover to a traditional IRA of the amount of the code-M distribution to be able to continue to defer taxes on this money.  Complete the rollover (or as much of the gross distribution as you choose to roll over) and then indicate in TurboTax that you moved the money to another retirement account and indicate the amount that you rolled over.  TurboTax will include the gross amount on Form 1040 line 5a but will exclude the amount rolled over from the taxable amount on line 5b.  TurboTax will also include the word ROLLOVER next to the line.

The only other thing that you need to do is inform the IRA custodian that this is a rollover of a qualified offset distribution so that the IRA custodian reports it correctly on the 2021 Form 5498 that you will receive next year.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
dmertz
Level 15

You have until the due date of your tax return, including extensions, to complete a rollover to a traditional IRA of the amount of the code-M distribution to be able to continue to defer taxes on this money.  Complete the rollover (or as much of the gross distribution as you choose to roll over) and then indicate in TurboTax that you moved the money to another retirement account and indicate the amount that you rolled over.  TurboTax will include the gross amount on Form 1040 line 5a but will exclude the amount rolled over from the taxable amount on line 5b.  TurboTax will also include the word ROLLOVER next to the line.

The only other thing that you need to do is inform the IRA custodian that this is a rollover of a qualified offset distribution so that the IRA custodian reports it correctly on the 2021 Form 5498 that you will receive next year.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies