turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

GLD ETF in Roth IRA TD Amer Import worked. 1099b, turbotax says I need: Date aquire, Cost or other basis, Type of gain/loss. Docs has (-) for them. Can I ignore?

TD ameritrade import went ok.  Imported info on GLD ETF, several entries for each month I believe.  Turbotax says I need extra info for these items.  Import didn't import them.  The paper 1099b from Ameritrade has dashes for these items.  If these are for a Roth IRA, do I need to find out and fill in missing info?  Imported box 1a, 1c, 1d, box x.  Says I need 1b date acquired, 1e cost or other basis, box 2 type of gain or loss.  Can I safely ignore this?  This IS NOT a sale of ETF.  I have been holding the ETF.  How do you handle the Principle Payment, which is effectively a return of principle or reduction of cost basis and not a sale as Turbo Tax wants to record it?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply

GLD ETF in Roth IRA TD Amer Import worked. 1099b, turbotax says I need: Date aquire, Cost or other basis, Type of gain/loss. Docs has (-) for them. Can I ignore?

Actually, your Roth IRA does not need to be reported in your tax return at all unless you have received a distribution and a 1099-R.  You can delete the 1099-B.

It is tax-sheltered and tax-free after 5 years.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies