Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

oldmanbob

georgia retirement exclusion age difference

I was reviewing some posts on Georgia retirement exclusion and one answer contains conflicting info in this post " I have underlined the conflicting info. 

This is the title of the earlier post I refer to? :  What is considered retirement income in order to get deduction for state of GA return but was included in federal return?  

One part of the answer provided  says : "Georgia does not tax Social Security retirement benefits and provides a deduction of $65,000 per person on all types of retirement income for anyone 64 or older."

a couple of paragraphs later it says "As of 2015, you can deduct up to $35,000 of retirement income if you are between the ages of 62 and 64 or permanently disabled. At age of 65, you can deduct up to $65,000. "

Which age does the 65 k exclusion hit?  64 or 65 or older?

2nd question what date in the year does one have to be the age to qualify.. i.e if I turn 64 in  December 2019, will that qualify me for the exclusion when I prepare my 2019 states? 

Thanks in advance! 

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

@DoninGA 

You have the specifics on that don't you?

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*
oldmanbob

No, I am totally lost. I have found different answers on the web, with some saying 65,000 excluded if 65 or over and others aying 65,000 retirement excluded from state taxes if 64 or over. I reviewed the post I referred to and also spent a fair amount of time trying to find the answer on Georgia dept of revenue web site and even tried calling them but they certainly have their how to contact them for specific questions well hidden.  That's the reason i reached out here. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies