Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

For the last three years, my QCD has generated a cost of over $2000 increase in taxes against listing as RMD and using schedule A. What could be the reason?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
dmertz
Level 15

For the last three years, my QCD has generated a cost of over $2000 increase in taxes against listing as RMD and using schedule A. What could be the reason?

Answered in the comments.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
dmertz
Level 15

Do you have basis in nondeductible traditional IRA contributions and the taxable amount of your traditional IRA distributions calculated on Form 8606 is less than the full amount of the distribution?

If so, the charitable deduction is probably reducing taxable income by more than the IRA distribution is increasing taxable income.  This effectively lowers your taxable income over many years instead of lowering your taxable income by larger amounts in later years.   A non-QCD distribution reduces the basis that would otherwise be available to apply to distributions in later years while a QCD comes only from otherwise taxable money in your traditional IRAs.  Using the QCD approach would save you less in tax now over using the Schedule A deduction, but you would get a bigger tax savings in the future when only basis remains to be distributed (which cannot be reported as a QCD).  By paying less tax now you get the time-value of the tax money saved at the front end, so using the Schedule A deduction may be better long-term.  But you also need to consider what side effects you might have by having the higher AGI with the Schedule A deduction.

Thanks. The post is helpful.
dmertz
Level 15

Answered in the comments.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies