turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

offpump

For 2018,I am over 50 and I contributed the maximum to my 401k which is 24,500. Turbo tax keeps saying that I Over contributed. How can I correct this ?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

For 2018,I am over 50 and I contributed the maximum to my 401k which is 24,500. Turbo tax keeps saying that I Over contributed. How can I correct this ?

The 401K comes out of your checks pretax meaning before taxes and has already been deducted from the wages in box 1.  So you can't deduct it again under Deductions & Credits.

View solution in original post

6 Replies

You only enter it from the W2, nowhere else.  Box 12 code D.  Did you also enter it under Deductions & Credits?  That is only for IRA contributions not 401K.  Delete it from Deductions & Credits.

Check your date of birth in the MY INFO tab ... make sure the W2 is in your name if you are married ... and make sure you are not entering the 401K contribution in the IRA section.
offpump

THANK YOU!! I was entering it in the IRA section. UGH!
offpump

YES...THANK YOU!! I was entering it in the D & C section.  

FYI ... if you ever enter something TWICE in the program then you are 100% doing something wrong and the program will call it out for sure 😉

The 401K comes out of your checks pretax meaning before taxes and has already been deducted from the wages in box 1.  So you can't deduct it again under Deductions & Credits.

Use your Intuit Account to sign in to TurboTax.
By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies