turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Dan7

Error (I think) on 1099-R is causing me to not be taxed on traditional 403(b) to Roth IRA conversion. Do I need to get a new 1099-R?

I wanted to convert a 403(b) to a Roth. I had the 403(b) place send the check to my IRA company for a traditional IRA.  After the check arrived, I decided to have the IRA company put it directly into a Roth (instead of traditional) IRA.  I believe the net result is that box 2a on my 1099-R (Taxable amount) is listed as 0, and 2b (Taxable amount not determined) is unchecked.  So, I am not getting taxed on this distribution.  Do I need to get this corrected at the 403(b) company, to send out a new 1099-R?  I would love to correct this on the fly, but am assuming I cannot?I would sincerely appreciate any guidance on this.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
dmertz
Level 15

Error (I think) on 1099-R is causing me to not be taxed on traditional 403(b) to Roth IRA conversion. Do I need to get a new 1099-R?

The check should have been made payable to a traditional IRA for your benefit so that you would not have been able to divert the funds directly to a Roth IRA in disagreement with the Form 1099-R that the 403(b) would eventually be providing showing a zero in box 2a.  However the fact that the money was deposited directly into a Roth IRA does mean that it qualifies as a direct rollover to a Roth IRA despite what the Form 1099-R is showing.

Given that the 403(b) did what you asked, they are unlikely to issue a corrected Form 1099-R showing the taxable amount in box 2a, but you should probably try to get them to correct it.  If they decline to do so, you'll should submit a substitute Form 1099-R (Form 4852) showing the taxable amount in box 2a (the amount in box 1 minus any amount in box 5).  This will require you to provide explanation and to paper-file by mail.

View solution in original post

6 Replies
Dan7

I now understand Vanguard refers to this as a "mid-air conversion."  The 403(b) place won't change the 1099-R, as they though it was going to a traditional IRA.  So, I need to get TurboTax to allow me to add in the income somewhere, I think, without getting a new 1099-R.
dmertz
Level 15

My answer indicates that you'll need to tell TurboTax that you need to submit a substitute 1099-R.  TurboTax will prompt for the required explanation statements that you'll include with your mailed tax return.
Dan7

Thank you!  TurboTax tells me if I file electronically, they will handle the explanation statement.  If I mail, they say I need to attach.  Since I will file electronically, I think I don't have to do anything more.  Thank you so much for the help!
dmertz
Level 15

The check should have been made payable to a traditional IRA for your benefit so that you would not have been able to divert the funds directly to a Roth IRA in disagreement with the Form 1099-R that the 403(b) would eventually be providing showing a zero in box 2a.  However the fact that the money was deposited directly into a Roth IRA does mean that it qualifies as a direct rollover to a Roth IRA despite what the Form 1099-R is showing.

Given that the 403(b) did what you asked, they are unlikely to issue a corrected Form 1099-R showing the taxable amount in box 2a, but you should probably try to get them to correct it.  If they decline to do so, you'll should submit a substitute Form 1099-R (Form 4852) showing the taxable amount in box 2a (the amount in box 1 minus any amount in box 5).  This will require you to provide explanation and to paper-file by mail.

Dan7

dmertz -- thank you for your reply. I see it now... I need to go to the enter a new 1099-R, and tell it I need to make a Substitute form.  Thank you for getting me there!
dmertz
Level 15

Yes.  Make sure to delete the original.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies