Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Entering a 1099-R. Turbo tax keep telling me the amount in 2A can't be great than the amount in box 1.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
MiriamF
Intuit Alumni

Entering a 1099-R. Turbo tax keep telling me the amount in 2A can't be great than the amount in box 1.

That's true - the taxable amount can't be more than the total that you received.

If your form really shows that the taxable amount is greater than the amount in box 1, then you need to contact the issuer to request a corrected copy.

If those two numbers are the same, then enter a number in box 2a that is a penny less than the number reported on the form. The program will round up to the amount listed on the form, but it will be less than the amount in box 1.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
MiriamF
Intuit Alumni

That's true - the taxable amount can't be more than the total that you received.

If your form really shows that the taxable amount is greater than the amount in box 1, then you need to contact the issuer to request a corrected copy.

If those two numbers are the same, then enter a number in box 2a that is a penny less than the number reported on the form. The program will round up to the amount listed on the form, but it will be less than the amount in box 1.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies