turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

EIN for parent & subsidiary company are same.Checked they are different employers, but excess social security withheld was not reflected in program.Will it be seen later?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DeanM15
Expert Alumni

EIN for parent & subsidiary company are same.Checked they are different employers, but excess social security withheld was not reflected in program.Will it be seen later?

Excess Social Security withholding should appear on Line 11 of Schedule 3 of your Form 1040. It should carry forward to Line 18d of your main Form 1040.

If you have 2 or more employers and your income is over $132,900 for the year, you will have excess Social Security withholding. The maximum amount of Social Security tax per person is $8240. 

If the excess is not appearing on your tax forms, I would first check to see if you have one of the W2s credited to your spouse. If you have a Married Filing Jointly return, go back to the W2s and check that the person they are under is correct.

If the reason you have excess SS withholding is that an employer made a mistake on your account, then you need to ask the employer to fix that for you.

There is some more information about excess Social Security withholding here.   

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

5 Replies
DeanM15
Expert Alumni

Excess Social Security withholding should appear on Line 11 of Schedule 3 of your Form 1040. It should carry forward to Line 18d of your main Form 1040.

If you have 2 or more employers and your income is over $132,900 for the year, you will have excess Social Security withholding. The maximum amount of Social Security tax per person is $8240. 

If the excess is not appearing on your tax forms, I would first check to see if you have one of the W2s credited to your spouse. If you have a Married Filing Jointly return, go back to the W2s and check that the person they are under is correct.

If the reason you have excess SS withholding is that an employer made a mistake on your account, then you need to ask the employer to fix that for you.

There is some more information about excess Social Security withholding here.   

Hi there,

The excess social security refund is not calculating in your program because I am using the same EIN for both employers. Both employers are reporting the EIN of a common reporting agent on the two W2's I received. Will I need to get corrected W2's from my employers? Also, I am filing single. 

Thanks for your time

JosephF8
Expert Alumni

Currently it is being reported as though by one employer.

The excess withheld should be refunded by the Employer and corrected W-2c issued.

Follow the directions at

How to get Excess Social Security Withheld Refunded

Awesome. Thanks!

canozkan86
Returning Member

if the legal entity is different (even though the EIN is same), then employer does not have to refund the employee because employee can use it as a credit in 1040 - that is what my employer's payroll department told me (one of top 500 fortune company). The question is then, how to add this manually in turbotax? It is not still noting that I should get a refund from my employer. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies