turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

jamit

Does anyone know which line item on the tax form corresponds w/ the earned income amount? I'm trying to determine my IRA contribution limit and had low income last year.

I had low w/ both my gross & net income being less than $5,500 last year.  I am now trying to determine my max amount for a Roth contribution for 2018. I think my limit would be my net profit  from my contracting business. However, I think I could be wrong and it might be taxable income (line 10 on 1040) or possibly something else.  

Can anyone confirm or correct me?  Thank you.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
dmertz
Level 15

Does anyone know which line item on the tax form corresponds w/ the earned income amount? I'm trying to determine my IRA contribution limit and had low income last year.

If your only compensation is from self-employment, it's net profit minus the deductible portion of self-employment taxes and any self-employed retirement deduction.  In other words, Schedule 1 line 12 minus lines 27 and 28.

jamit

Awesome.  I am assuming the other income adjustments do not matter than for the Roth ira contribution.  Just the portion for self employment tax and self-employed retirement deduction. Is that right? Thank you for your help.
dmertz
Level 15

Right.  Since your AGI is low, you will likely benefit more from the Roth IRA contribution that you are proposing than from a traditional IRA contribution.
jamit

That is exactly what I was looking to do, but wanted to make sure I didn't over contribute.  Thank you again for your help.  
Manage cookies