Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Do I split my military retirement pay between 2 states? I lived in Ohio for 9 months and in Virginia for 3 in 2017. I still own my home in OH while working in VA.

Just to add, I left my family in OH for working in VA. OH does not tax military retirement pay while VA does. Can I allocate all my entire mil retirement to OH and not claim it for VA?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Hal_Al
Level 15

Do I split my military retirement pay between 2 states? I lived in Ohio for 9 months and in Virginia for 3 in 2017. I still own my home in OH while working in VA.

Yes, a least for 2017. You should file a full year resident Ohio return and a non resident VA return. Allocate none of your Military retirement to VA. 

If you continue with this arrangement, it could get sticky. As long as you maintain a home, with family, in Ohio, you are still a full year Ohio resident. The problem comes if and when VA also wants to classify you as a  resident. 

View solution in original post

1 Reply
Hal_Al
Level 15

Yes, a least for 2017. You should file a full year resident Ohio return and a non resident VA return. Allocate none of your Military retirement to VA. 

If you continue with this arrangement, it could get sticky. As long as you maintain a home, with family, in Ohio, you are still a full year Ohio resident. The problem comes if and when VA also wants to classify you as a  resident. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies