Solved: Do I split my military retirement pay between 2 states? I lived in Ohio for 9 months and in Virginia for 3 in 2017. I still own my home in OH while working in VA.

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Announcements
TurboTax has you covered during Covid. Get the latest second stimulus info here.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do I split my military retirement pay between 2 states? I lived in Ohio for 9 months and in Virginia for 3 in 2017. I still own my home in OH while working in VA.

Just to add, I left my family in OH for working in VA. OH does not tax military retirement pay while VA does. Can I allocate all my entire mil retirement to OH and not claim it for VA?
1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Level 15

Do I split my military retirement pay between 2 states? I lived in Ohio for 9 months and in Virginia for 3 in 2017. I still own my home in OH while working in VA.

Yes, a least for 2017. You should file a full year resident Ohio return and a non resident VA return. Allocate none of your Military retirement to VA. 

If you continue with this arrangement, it could get sticky. As long as you maintain a home, with family, in Ohio, you are still a full year Ohio resident. The problem comes if and when VA also wants to classify you as a  resident. 

View solution in original post

1 Reply
Level 15

Yes, a least for 2017. You should file a full year resident Ohio return and a non resident VA return. Allocate none of your Military retirement to VA. 

If you continue with this arrangement, it could get sticky. As long as you maintain a home, with family, in Ohio, you are still a full year Ohio resident. The problem comes if and when VA also wants to classify you as a  resident. 

View solution in original post

Dynamic Ads
v
Privacy Settings