Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

null309

Do I need to show an after-tax 401k (not Roth) contribution on my taxes (my firm allows us to contribute up to $10K to an after-tax 401k beyond the $18K Roth 401k limit)?

I'm asking specifically if I need to denote anywhere that I contributed an additional amount to an after-tax 401k account, not about the contribution I made to my Roth 401k.  Thanks!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
dmertz
Level 15

Do I need to show an after-tax 401k (not Roth) contribution on my taxes (my firm allows us to contribute up to $10K to an after-tax 401k beyond the $18K Roth 401k limit)?

The only place you would enter it into TurboTax would be for the Retirement Savings Contributions Credit, if you qualify for the credit, when TurboTax asks you to enter your after-tax contributions.  Most people making after-tax contributions to a 401(k) have income high enough to disqualify them from receiving this credit, so it's unlikely that you would need to make this entry.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
dmertz
Level 15

The only place you would enter it into TurboTax would be for the Retirement Savings Contributions Credit, if you qualify for the credit, when TurboTax asks you to enter your after-tax contributions.  Most people making after-tax contributions to a 401(k) have income high enough to disqualify them from receiving this credit, so it's unlikely that you would need to make this entry.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies