Solved: Do I need to report 1099-R distributions on my 2017 return when the taxable amount in box 2a is $0?

Do I need to report 1099-R distributions on my 2017 return when the taxable amount in box 2a is $0?

The distributed amounts are a few dollars a month getting pulled from a life insurance premium and put into a long-term care rider. We do not receive the money as cash, and it is not rolled over into another investment.

Yes.  That is income that you received regardless of whether you had any taxes withheld or not.  A simple rule is that if you receive any kind of 1099, you need to report it!