xcpatriot1370

Do I need to file taxes in MN if I do not meet the income threshold to be required to file as an active duty service member?

"Minnesota residents are allowed to exclude active duty military pay for services performed in Minnesota when determining if they meet the Minnesota individual income tax filing requirement." The minimum filing requirement for a single person under 65 is $10,350.  All of my income is from active duty military pay.

TomD8

What is your State of Legal Residence (your SLR)?  In what state were you stationed in 2016?

**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.

TomD8

xcpatriot1370

SLR is MN. I was stationed in CA during 2016
TomD8

MN does not tax active duty military pay.  If all your 2016 income was active duty military pay, you do not have to file a MN tax return.