turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

rombach1

Do I need to amend form 8606 IRA Non-deductible contribution form, if I didn't end up making the IRA contribution that I originally entered I did?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

Do I need to amend form 8606 IRA Non-deductible contribution form, if I didn't end up making the IRA contribution that I originally entered I did?

of course you have to amend. your current reported basis in IRAs is incorrect.

you attached 8606 to your original return, as required.  Use form 1040x to correct information on an already filed return

Anonymous
Not applicable

Overstatement Penalty (from form 8606 instructions) 

If you overstate your nondeductible contributions, you must pay a $100 penalty, unless you can show reasonable cause.

so I would file an amended return  can't guarantee the IRS won't asses penalty anyway but you have nothing to loose.   this will also result in the correct basis when you rollover 2018 tt to 2019. tt  

epo68
Returning Member

How do I do this in TurboTax?

You must have a copy of the original tax return you want to update.

The simplest way is to prepare your correct tax return (using TurboTax for example, or other means) and print it.
Then lay the paper printouts of both returns (correct and original) side-by-side.
You now have all the information needed to prepare Form1040X by hand.
It's pretty straight-forward.

The blank form in fillable PDF format and its instructions are available at www.irs.gov.
Mail to the same address you would mail your original tax

return.

--

In this scenario, only Form 8606 is new or changed, and all of column B in 1040X should be zero, since you didn't take the deduction.

In Part III Explanation state

"here comes a changed Form 8606 since I never made the contribution".

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies