Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

tsowrr

Do I file ms state tax if I only have pension and ssi benefits?

Turbotax live has zero amount owed but do I still need to send the state something? I do have to pay Federal tax.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
TomK
Expert Alumni

You should file a Mississippi Income Tax Return if any of the following statements apply to you [f you do NOT then do not file]: 

• You have Mississippi income tax withheld from your wages (other than Mississippi gambling income).

• You are a non-resident or part-year resident with income taxed by Mississippi (other than gambling income). 

• Single resident taxpayers – you have gross income in excess of $8,300 plus $1,500 for each dependent. 

• Married resident taxpayers – you and your spouse have gross income in excess of $16,600 plus $1,500 for each dependent. 

• Minor resident taxpayers – you have gross income in excess of the personal exemption plus the standard deduction according to the filing status. 

• Residents working outside of Mississippi – you must file a Mississippi return and report the total gross income regardless of the source. 

• Residents working outside of the United States – you must file a return and report the total gross income if you are a Mississippi resident employed in a foreign country on a temporary or transitory basis. If you qualify to exclude foreign wages for federal purposes, enter the amount as a deduction on schedule N and attach the Federal Form 2555

- Deceased taxpayer – if you are a survivor or representative of a deceased taxpayer, you must file a return for the taxpayer who died during the tax year on or before the 2018 return is due. For more information on the filing requirements of a deceased taxpayer, see the “Death of a Taxpayer” section of this booklet.

For more information: https://www.dor.ms.gov/Forms/80100188.pdf

View solution in original post

3 Replies
TomK
Expert Alumni

You should file a Mississippi Income Tax Return if any of the following statements apply to you [f you do NOT then do not file]: 

• You have Mississippi income tax withheld from your wages (other than Mississippi gambling income).

• You are a non-resident or part-year resident with income taxed by Mississippi (other than gambling income). 

• Single resident taxpayers – you have gross income in excess of $8,300 plus $1,500 for each dependent. 

• Married resident taxpayers – you and your spouse have gross income in excess of $16,600 plus $1,500 for each dependent. 

• Minor resident taxpayers – you have gross income in excess of the personal exemption plus the standard deduction according to the filing status. 

• Residents working outside of Mississippi – you must file a Mississippi return and report the total gross income regardless of the source. 

• Residents working outside of the United States – you must file a return and report the total gross income if you are a Mississippi resident employed in a foreign country on a temporary or transitory basis. If you qualify to exclude foreign wages for federal purposes, enter the amount as a deduction on schedule N and attach the Federal Form 2555

- Deceased taxpayer – if you are a survivor or representative of a deceased taxpayer, you must file a return for the taxpayer who died during the tax year on or before the 2018 return is due. For more information on the filing requirements of a deceased taxpayer, see the “Death of a Taxpayer” section of this booklet.

For more information: https://www.dor.ms.gov/Forms/80100188.pdf

tsowrr

This states that if you have a income over $8,300 single that you should report. My pension and my ssi benefit are above that limit. Since these are excluded, do I still have to file?
TomK
Expert Alumni

No, not unless you had withholding.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies