turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

rftgjk
Returning Member

When I withdrew from Roth IRA in 2017(to remove overage, paid 6% fine for 2016 return),Fidelity asked if I'd pay 10% fine. I clicked "No". How do I pay that 10% fine now?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
dmertz
Level 15

When I withdrew from Roth IRA in 2017(to remove overage, paid 6% fine for 2016 return),Fidelity asked if I'd pay 10% fine. I clicked "No". How do I pay that 10% fine now?

Code J indicates a regular distribution made from a Roth IRA before age 59½.  If the amount of this distribution was equal to the amount of the excess contribution, it eliminates the penalty for this excess for 2017 and beyond and is tax and penalty free.

Despite being an excess contribution, the contribution for 2016 added contribution basis in your Roth IRAs.  Since contribution basis comes out first, tax and penalty free, in addition to your 2017 code J distribution eliminating the excess on 2017 Form 5329 Part IV, the taxable amount calculated on 2017 Form 8606 Part III will be zero.  Since only the taxable amount a code J distribution is subject to early-distribution penalty, there is also no penalty on this distribution.

View solution in original post

9 Replies
Ashby

For clarification, are you talking about the 10% early withdrawal penalties for IRAs? (Pre 59-1/2)
Carl
Level 15

@TurboTaxAshby if this was a 2018 withdrawal of a 2017 over-contribution and not a penny more, then there is no 10% early withdrawal penalty. But the earnings if any, on the amount of the over-contribution are taxable income in 2018.
Or am I not understanding something here maybe?
dmertz
Level 15

Fidelity simply asked if you wanted 10% withheld for taxes.  Had any amount of your 2017 distribution been withheld for taxes, the withholding would have been credited on your 2017 tax return against your overall 2017 tax liability, not against any particular item of taxable income.

What is the code (or codes) in box 7 of the 2017 Form 1099-R provided by Fidelity?
Ashby

@Carl I was trying to figure out the question, but I think @dmertz is on to something. It was probably just Fidelity's stock question about withholding for the penalty.
dmertz
Level 15

Fidelity was simply asking about the default 10% tax withholding that they are required to withhold in the absence of instructions to not withhold or to withhold more.  Nothing about tax withholding applies specifically to any penalty or any other specific addition to overall tax liability.
rftgjk
Returning Member

@dmertz The box 7 of the 2017 Form 1099-R says "J".
rftgjk
Returning Member

@TurboTaxAshby The withdrawal was made in Dec. 2017 for 2017 tax return.
dmertz
Level 15

Code J indicates a regular distribution made from a Roth IRA before age 59½.  If the amount of this distribution was equal to the amount of the excess contribution, it eliminates the penalty for this excess for 2017 and beyond and is tax and penalty free.

Despite being an excess contribution, the contribution for 2016 added contribution basis in your Roth IRAs.  Since contribution basis comes out first, tax and penalty free, in addition to your 2017 code J distribution eliminating the excess on 2017 Form 5329 Part IV, the taxable amount calculated on 2017 Form 8606 Part III will be zero.  Since only the taxable amount a code J distribution is subject to early-distribution penalty, there is also no penalty on this distribution.

rftgjk
Returning Member

@dmertz Thank you for your answer.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies