turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I have a distribution code of 1B on my 1099R and TurboTax is not taking the Roth contribution into consideration. Can I just use B as the distribution code?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
dmertz
Level 15

I have a distribution code of 1B on my 1099R and TurboTax is not taking the Roth contribution into consideration. Can I just use B as the distribution code?

Enter the Form 1099-R exactly as received by entering both codes 1 and B.  These two codes together indicate that you made a distribution from a Roth account in a qualified retirement plan before age 59½, not a distribution from a Roth IRA.  On the Form 1099-R, the payer should have indicated the taxable amount in box 2a and the nontaxable portion in box 5.

If any portion was rolled over to another Roth account, indicate that the a some or all of the distribution was rolled over to another retirement account and indicate the amount rolled over.  The taxable amount reported on Form 1040 line 16b or Form 1040A line 12b will be reduced by the amount rolled over (but not to less than zero) and the word ROLLOVER will appear next to the line.

View solution in original post

5 Replies
AmandaR1

Did you convert from a IRA to a Roth? No you should enter exactly what's on your form.
dmertz
Level 15

Enter the Form 1099-R exactly as received by entering both codes 1 and B.  These two codes together indicate that you made a distribution from a Roth account in a qualified retirement plan before age 59½, not a distribution from a Roth IRA.  On the Form 1099-R, the payer should have indicated the taxable amount in box 2a and the nontaxable portion in box 5.

If any portion was rolled over to another Roth account, indicate that the a some or all of the distribution was rolled over to another retirement account and indicate the amount rolled over.  The taxable amount reported on Form 1040 line 16b or Form 1040A line 12b will be reduced by the amount rolled over (but not to less than zero) and the word ROLLOVER will appear next to the line.

AmandaR1

No, for box 7 you should enter code "1" and code "B" if you have both codes on your form. 

After you enter Form 1099-R, answer the questions that follow carefully. Then, once you are back on the summary screen and have entered all form 1099-Rs, be sure to click continue. This is where you'll be asked many relevant questions for taxability. 

If you made contributions this year, be sure to enter them under Deductions & Credits >>> Retirement and Investments >>> Traditional and Roth IRA Contributions. 

arileib

Turbo Tax is not giving an option at all to select 1B. How am I supposed to show 1B on my form, if in the drop down menu there is no option for it?

Click the box below box 7 for  2nd box 7 code.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies