Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Dependent SSDI benefits

Hi,

Our 31yr old disabled son just started receiving SSDI benefits based on my wife's earnings record.  SSDI is his only source of income and amounts to less than $12k/yr.  My wife and I file MFJ, with our son as our sole dependent.  He lives with us year-round.

My question is whether his SSDI income, for which he will receive an SSA-1099, must be reported on a tax return, either our MFJ return or our son's own report (a tax return in his name has never been filed to date).

If the former, will it increase our AGI, and if the latter, will that preclude us from claiming him as a dependent on our MFJ report?

Not sure whether it matters, but his mother and I are his biological parents, court-appointed conservators and representative payees.

Thanks in advance!

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Dependent SSDI benefits

No he doesn't need to file a return.  They are always changing those Help articles around.  Since his SSDI is his only income it is not taxable then he doesn't need to file at all.  

View solution in original post

5 Replies

Dependent SSDI benefits

You don't include their income on your return. It would only go on their return if they are required to file one.  If they only get ssi or SS, SSDI or a SSA-1099 they don't have to file a return and nobody reports it.  And it doesn’t affect you from claiming him.  

Filing requirements for a dependent

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/children-dependents/help/do-i-need-to-file-my-own-taxes-if-i-m-a-d...

Dependent SSDI benefits

Thank you!

Dependent SSDI benefits

Hi, just a quick follow-up.  Reading from the link you provided:

Do I need to file my own taxes if I'm a dependent?

• Your unearned income (interest, dividends, capital gains, etc.) exceeds $1,250

What is unearned income?

• Retirement or Social Security income

So this seems to indicate that my son DOES HAVE to file...???  I understand that since (50% SSDI benefits + earned income (he has none)) is less than $25k, his SSDI is not TAXED, but does he have to FILE?  Just want to avoid a nasty letter from the IRS, know what I mean?  FYI, CAPS just for emphasis, not yelling :-).

Thx again!!

Dependent SSDI benefits

No he doesn't need to file a return.  They are always changing those Help articles around.  Since his SSDI is his only income it is not taxable then he doesn't need to file at all.  

Dependent SSDI benefits

@Rumpelstilschen 

IRS Tax Tip - https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-news/at-01-08.pdf

Generally, if Social Security benefits were your only income, your benefits are not taxable and you probably do not need to file a federal income tax return.

So, as stated by @VolvoGirl if his only income is from Social Security there is no need or reason to file a federal tax return.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies