turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Delay of RMD

I did not take my full RMD for 2019 from one of my 401K accounts. It looks like the penalty for not doing so is removed by the CARES Act. for all of 2020.

What is the real story because tomorrow is the deadline if I must take the full RMD?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Delay of RMD

@TaxmanGWW wrote:

Thanks for the answer. I know what Forbes says but I can't find any official confirmation of this. I thought TurboTax would have the latest word. IRS.gov does not have any info I can find. 

As the article says, this only applies if you turned 70 1/2 in 2019 and this is the *first*  RMD that you can elect not to take until Apr 1 of 2020.    Since your are (were) not, required to take any RMD in 2019 then the CARES act specifically says that if required in 2020 then it is waived.  

The official confirmation is the tax law itself.

https://www.congress.gov/bill/116th-congress/house-bill/748/text

SEC. 2203. Temporary waiver of required minimum distribution rules for certain retirement plans and accounts.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

View solution in original post

6 Replies

Delay of RMD

This is what Forbs says:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jamiehopkins/2020/03/30/cares-act-drastically-changes-required-minimum-...

What is the 2020 RMD relief?

The bill stated that defined contribution plans, like 401(k)s, 403(b)s, 457(b) plans, and IRAs, may suspend RMDs in 2020. RMDs for 2020 were already a bit lower since 2020 is the first year in which the required beginning date switched from age 70.5 to age 72 – unless someone turned age 70.5 in 2019, in which case they owe an RMD by April 1, 2020. However, the new CARES Act allows account owners to skip both their 2019 RMD if it was their first year and had not yet made an RMD by April 1, 2020, and their 2020 RMD.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

Delay of RMD

Thanks for the answer. I know what Forbes says but I can't find any official confirmation of this. I thought TurboTax would have the latest word. IRS.gov does not have any info I can find. 

Your disclaimer says it all. Without official word, I need to withdraw money today, April 1, 2020 or be subject to the 50% tax. I think the Forbes story is true but I can't find confirmation.

Thanks again.

Delay of RMD

@TaxmanGWW wrote:

As the article says, this only applies if you turned 70 1/2 in 2019 and this is the *first*  RMD that you can elect not to take until Apr 1 of 2020.    Since your are (were) not, required to take any RMD in 2019 then the CARES act specifically says that if required in 2020 then it is waived.  

The official confirmation is the tax law itself.

https://www.congress.gov/bill/116th-congress/house-bill/748/text

SEC. 2203. Temporary waiver of required minimum distribution rules for certain retirement plans and accounts.

Delay of RMD

Thank you for this definitive answer. I could not find it on my own! 

I am exempt from taking the RMD for 2020.

Delay of RMD

you have to be a dedicated tax geek to tease out Sec 2203 (I)(i)(III)
and Sec 2203 (I)(ii)(II) from the CARES Act.

Hey, IRS always waives the 50% penalty anyway so why worry ?

Delay of RMD

@fanfare wrote:

you have to be a dedicated tax geek to tease out Sec 2203 (I)(i)(III)
and Sec 2203 (I)(ii)(II) from the CARES Act.

Hey, IRS always waives the 50% penalty anyway so why worry ?

The point is that the CARES act temporary eliminates the requirement to take the 2020 RMD at all.  That can be an economic advantage for some.

And reading and understand the CARES act (and most tax law) only requires some basic intelligence - it ain't rocket science.  Quite simple really.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies