turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

COVID 19 CARES Act 401K Distribution

Hello,

Back in April 2020, I made withdrawal from my personal 401K account from TD Ameritrade - "COVID 19 distribution." It was from qualifying 401K account and I had qualifying COVID-19 related hardship. My situation has changed and, in January 2021, I decided to pay back the distribution to my 401K account at TD Ameritrade. CARES Act allows people to pay back "COVID 19 distribution" within  3 years so they do not have to pay taxes or simply get refund for paid taxes. I guess it basically extends regular 60 day rollover period to 3 years. That is my understanding. Since I took distribution, TD Ameritrade sent me 1099R Form. I recorded that distribution in Turbotax. My question is where do I  record repayment of that distribution in Turbotax? When I go to rollover section, Turbotax discusses only 60 day rollover. It does not have any information on COVID-19 CARES Act 401K 3 year rollover period.  It is a bit surprising. Thank you for your help,

Matt  

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
PattiF
Expert Alumni

The IRS has not released the forms yet for this. At this point in time the Form 8915-E (Qualified 2020 Disaster Retirement

Plan Distributions and Repayments (Use for Coronavirus-Related Distributions)) is not finalized.

We currently do not have an estimated date when the form is ready.

Please sign-up here and we will email you once the form is live.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

24 Replies
PattiF
Expert Alumni

The IRS has not released the forms yet for this. At this point in time the Form 8915-E (Qualified 2020 Disaster Retirement

Plan Distributions and Repayments (Use for Coronavirus-Related Distributions)) is not finalized.

We currently do not have an estimated date when the form is ready.

Please sign-up here and we will email you once the form is live.

I see, thank you very much for a quick reply and help. I really appreciate that! Have a good evening.

Matt

The IRS has issued Revised Form 8915-E 2020 as of 12 Feb 2021.   When will this update be active on Turbotax?

EbonyL122824
Intuit Alumni

@nuala This form will be available on 02/25/2021. You can check the IRS forms availability here.

Hi, I purchased the dowload software for mac, home and business and I became quite frustrated to learn that it does not calculate my taxes properly according to the CARES Act hardship withdrawal of 401K. I had qualifying hardships in 2020 and withdrew 401k funds, this was supposed to be without the early withdrawal penalty and income tax distributed into 3 years. None of this is reflected in turbotax software and there are no questions related to it either, and it is calculating an outrages tax that I owe as a result. When will this be updated?

The TurboTax 8915-E should be available on Feb. 25 (pending IRS approval by then). Updates are usually at night so check on the 26th.

See the forms availability list:
https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/forms/help/irs-forms-availability-table-for-turbotax-individual-pe...

The IRS just finalized the form on Feb 11. TurboTax must now submit their 8915-E software to the IRS for testing to be sure that both TurboTax and the IRS e-file computer are compatible. That process usually takes the IRS 2-3 weeks for approval to release the new form to the public.

See below for a link to sign up for an email when the form is ready.

This form is necessary to report COVID related distributions from IRA's and other retirement plans to report the distribution, pay it back over 3 years or spread the tax over 3 years.

A COVID-19 related distribution is reported on a new 8915-E form.

See this TurboTax FAQ to sign up for an e-mail when the form is ready.
https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/tax-topics/help/why-am-i-getting-getting-a-10-penalty-on-my-1099-r...
The TurboTax 8915-E should be available on Feb. 25 (pending IRS approval by then). Updates are usually at night so check on the 26th.

See the forms availability list:
https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/forms/help/irs-forms-availability-table-for-turbotax-individual-pe...

The IRS just finalized the form on Feb 11. TurboTax must now submit their 8915-E software to the IRS for testing to be sure that both TurboTax and the IRS e-file computer are compatible. That process usually takes the IRS 2-3 weeks for approval to release the new form to the public.

See below for a link to sign up for an email when the form is ready.

This form is necessary to report COVID related distributions from IRA's and other retirement plans to report the distribution, pay it back over 3 years or spread the tax over 3 years.

A COVID-19 related distribution is reported on a new 8915-E form.

See this TurboTax FAQ to sign up for an e-mail when the form is ready.
https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/tax-topics/help/why-am-i-getting-getting-a-10-penalty-on-my-1099-r...

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

Thank you for prompt response

According to the above, this was available in turbotax over a week ago, where is it?   When I go to the penalty waiver section of my qualified retirement plan it simply asks about prior year (2019 or earlier) disaster or other.  There is no place to talk about repayment of the distribution or taxing over 3 years in this area that I can see.

Can you tell me what to search on or where to go to enter this information?

Yes my turobotax is updated as of this morning (3/4/21)

It was in all TurboTax versions as of 2/26.

You do not normally "see" the form, it is created when you enter a 1099-R that is a COVID related distribution.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

OK yes, I was looking for questions after I typed in the 1099-R.

I had originally completed that section before Feb 26.  

So I had to go delete the 1099-R and re-enter the information and then I was prompted.

Looks good now thank you!

Will my state, Alabama, also allow me to divide the 401k distribution up over 3 years for taxation purposes?

Yes, according to the Alabama Society of CPAs,  under section 2202 of the CARES Act, qualified individuals receive favorable tax treatment with respect to distributions from eligible retirement plans that are coronavirus-related distributions. A coronavirus-related distribution is not subject to the 10% additional tax under § 72(t) of the Internal Revenue Code (Code) (including the 25% additional tax under § 72(t)(6) for certain distributions from SIMPLE IRAs), generally is includible in income over a 3-year period, and, to the extent the distribution is eligible for tax-free rollover treatment and is contributed to an eligible retirement plan within a 3-year period, will not be includible in income.  Section 2202 of the CARES Act also increases the allowable plan loan amount under § 72(p) of the Code and permits a suspension of payments for plan loans outstanding on or after March 27, 2020, that are made to qualified individuals.  

Can tax return be filed now and repayment be made later so long as it is by May 17th ?

@Caseyblue wrote:

Can tax return be filed now and repayment be made later so long as it is by May 17th ?

Yes, but then you would need to amend to claim the repayment.     It is better to hold off filing until the repayment is made.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies