Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Correcting An IRA Contribution

I made a $6500 contribution to my Roth IRA for 2023 in February 2023. I determined that I was ineligible to make a Roth contribution because my income was too high. In November 2023 I withdrew the contribution and income as an excess contribution which I planned to contribute as a non-deductible contribution to my traditional IRA. My custodian is treating the withdrawal as an early non-taxable distribution so my contribution is still in the Roth IRA. I recharacterized the $6500 Roth contribution and income to my traditional IRA. Can I now put the early distribution back into the Roth IRA even though I have already contributed the maximum amount? Will it be taxable as a late rollover even though it's a non-taxable distribution?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
DanaB27
Expert Alumni

Correcting An IRA Contribution

Can you clarify your question? You requested the withdrawal of the 2023 excess Roth IRA contribution in 2023 and therefore received a 2023 Form 1099-R with code 8J?

You state that you that recharacterized the $6500 Roth contribution and income to my traditional IRA. Did you request that with your financial institution? For what year was this contribution made for? Did you receive a Form 1099-R for this recharacterization?

If you have funds in the traditional IRA, then you can make a conversion, which means move it from traditional to Roth IRA. This would not be a new contribution. Generally, conversions are taxable unless you had a basis in the traditional IRA ( made nondeductible contributions). If you had any pre-tax funds and a basis in the your traditional IRA then pro-rata rule applies. This means that with each distribution/ conversion you will have a taxable and nontaxable part.  If you decide to make a conversion then this will be entered on your 2024 tax return since you are converting the funds in 2024.

Please see How do I enter a backdoor Roth IRA conversion? and How do I re-characterize a Roth IRA contribution as a traditional IRA contribution in TurboTax? for additional information.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies