turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Contribution to Teacher Retirement System in Texas

I made a contribution to the Teacher Retirement System of Texas and the total is listed on my W-2 form in box 14 as TRS. the amount is $4445.00.  Am I allowed to deduct that amount and where do I deduct it?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
AnnaB

No, this amount has already received a tax benefit as it is not included in your Box 1 wages.  However, it will be taxable this year on your state return.  When you withdraw the funds, they will be taxable on your Federal return, but not on your state return.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
jfullertx

My contributions to TRS do NOT appear in box 14 of my W-2.  Will I receive credit for these payments into TRS?
AnnaB

@jfullertx I would not expect this to be a huge problem - your contributions still have credit.  However, these items can be taxable on your state return (depending on your state and the plan) and you may be eligible for a retirement savings credit.  I would recommend getting a corrected W-2 that reports the information to you.

However, again, your contribution account should not be impacted.
AnnaB

No, this amount has already received a tax benefit as it is not included in your Box 1 wages.  However, it will be taxable this year on your state return.  When you withdraw the funds, they will be taxable on your Federal return, but not on your state return.

AnnaB

I just realized that you are in Texas - there is no income tax there; therefore, your contributions would not be taxable on your state return.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies