Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can you tell me why my Turbo Tax is asking for information for 1099-R when I do not have a retirement account?

Would this have anything to do with the sale of my business on December 17, 2018?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply

Can you tell me why my Turbo Tax is asking for information for 1099-R when I do not have a retirement account?

Did you have a retirement account with your business and did you close it out? Probably not.

I take it that you did not receive a 1099-R either?

Then the most likely explanation is that you accidentally created a 1099-R entry by taking a peek into the 1099-R section, not realizing that even taking a peek causes TurboTax to create a 1099-R.

If this is the case, do the following:

• Do a Search (upper right) for "1099-r" (lower case, without the double quotes) and jump to it.
  • You probably now see a table of Your 1099-R Entries
  • If there is only one entry and on the far left it says "Untitled", then delete this entry, as it is probably empty (the "Untitled" refers to the fact that you did not supply a name of a Payer)

If this does not work for you, then please make another post, specifying whether or not you received a 1099-R, and where TurboTax is asking for information about the 1099-R (for example, is it in the Review). Remember that we at AnswerXchange cannot see your tax return nor the screen you are on, so we are totally dependent on what you tell us about the issue.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies