Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can you explain the taxable social security amount shown on 2020 return?

Turbo tax shows taxable social security as $13,693 and my worksheet shows $13,948.00. Can you explain?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

You should not use the worksheet on the back of the SSA-1099.  It can be complicated to figure out even though it looks simple.  Turbo Tax figures it all out for you.

When you enter 1/2 of your ss on line B it is not being subtracted from anything.  It is being ADDED to ALL your other income to see if any of the ss will be taxable to you.

To see the Social Security Benefits Calculation Worksheet  in Turbo Tax Online version you would have to save your return with all the worksheets to your computer.   Or if you are using the Desktop CD/Download Software you can switch to Forms Mode (click Forms in the upper right) and click on SS in the list on the right side.

Here's an alternate way to print by opening the filed return back up to print at the Print Center, where you can also get the worksheets.

Log in and at the Tax Home or in the section Your Tax Returns & Documents for 2020, look for a link Add a State.  Click on Add a State.  (you don't really add one.  That's just to open your return back up.)

After the return is open, click in the left menu column on TAX TOOLS, then PRINT CENTER.

Then choose Print, save, view this year's return.

The next screen should offer some options:  Just my tax returns or include government worksheets (optional), or include government and TurboTax worksheets (optional.)

View solution in original post

4 Replies
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

What do you mean by "my worksheet"? Did you fill out a Social Security Benefits Worksheet yourself on paper? The only way to explain the difference is to compare your worksheet and the worksheet in TurboTax line by line and see where the differences are. If you "print" or create a PDF of your tax return with all forms and worksheets, not just the forms for filing, the Social Security Benefits Worksheet will be included in the PDF. You will have to pay the TurboTax fees before you can print.

Yes, I filled out a Social Security Benefits Worksheet myself on paper? But since I didn't see a response to my question, I went ahead & had return filed. It has been accepted by IRS and I have downloaded & printed a copy but there were no worksheets. Downloaded & printed return has 8 pages of 2020 1040-SR (2 copies, including Schedule 1 & Standard deduction Chart)  & 12 pages of OHIO IT 1040 tax return which has not been filed but includes all Schedules & worksheets? Since I have been doing our own taxes until last 2 years, I have completed the SS worksheets, but no matter what amounts I use, cannot reconcile with Turbo's amount. And apparently, I won't be able to!

You should not use the worksheet on the back of the SSA-1099.  It can be complicated to figure out even though it looks simple.  Turbo Tax figures it all out for you.

When you enter 1/2 of your ss on line B it is not being subtracted from anything.  It is being ADDED to ALL your other income to see if any of the ss will be taxable to you.

To see the Social Security Benefits Calculation Worksheet  in Turbo Tax Online version you would have to save your return with all the worksheets to your computer.   Or if you are using the Desktop CD/Download Software you can switch to Forms Mode (click Forms in the upper right) and click on SS in the list on the right side.

Here's an alternate way to print by opening the filed return back up to print at the Print Center, where you can also get the worksheets.

Log in and at the Tax Home or in the section Your Tax Returns & Documents for 2020, look for a link Add a State.  Click on Add a State.  (you don't really add one.  That's just to open your return back up.)

After the return is open, click in the left menu column on TAX TOOLS, then PRINT CENTER.

Then choose Print, save, view this year's return.

The next screen should offer some options:  Just my tax returns or include government worksheets (optional), or include government and TurboTax worksheets (optional.)

rjs
Level 15
Level 15

@2005macaj#05 wrote:

Yes, I filled out a Social Security Benefits Worksheet myself on paper? . . . Since I have been doing our own taxes until last 2 years, I have completed the SS worksheets, but no matter what amounts I use, cannot reconcile with Turbo's amount.

What worksheet do you use? There are different worksheets for calculating taxable Social Security benefits for certain situations. There is a Social Security Benefits Worksheet on page 30 of the 2020 IRS instructions for Form 1040, but on page 27, in the right column, there is a list of situations in which you cannot use that worksheet. Do any of those situations apply to you? "Worksheet 1. Figuring Your Taxable Benefits" on page 16 of IRS Publication 915 covers one of the exceptions in the Form 1040 instructions, but "Which worksheet to use" on page 6 of Publication 915 lists situations in which you cannot use Worksheet 1. The Form 1040 instructions and Publication 915 tell you how to calculate your taxable Social Security benefits if you cannot use either of those worksheets.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies