turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

klscott7
Returning Member

1099-R filing. My wife received a distribution after her sister's passing. Does the penalty apply for this? If so, is it too late to transfer the money into another IRA?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies
BurakG
Employee Tax Expert

1099-R filing. My wife received a distribution after her sister's passing. Does the penalty apply for this? If so, is it too late to transfer the money into another IRA?

When a taxpayer receives distribution from in inherited IRA. Box 7 on 1099-R should show distribution code 4 

In this case, the distribution is taxable but the beneficiary is not subject to 10% early withdrawal penalty. 

klscott7
Returning Member

That's what I thought but the software updates the federal tax amount to INCLUDE the 10% penalty.
BurakG
Employee Tax Expert

Can you double check your 1099-R input screen and make sure Box 7 has distribution code 4. One other way to check is, on forms mode you can search for Schedule 4 and line 59 shows additional tax on IRAs.
dmertz
Level 15

Also, once the money is distributed to a non-spouse beneficiary, it cannot be transferred to another IRA.  If your wife is eligible to make a new regular contribution to an IRA she can use the cash to do so, but that's entirely independent of the distribution reported on the Form 1099-R.
klscott7
Returning Member

Thanks for the responses. The difference is driven by additional tax on the distribution rather than a penalty. It makes sense now.
BurakG
Employee Tax Expert

I am glad we were able to help. Have a nice day and congratulations on completing your tax return!
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies