Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Oakland

Can you claim my father as a dependent if he receives a retirement benefit 1099-R?

I paid over 50% of my father's expenses.  I would like to claim him as a dependent.  He receives a retirement benefit.  Does his 1099-R count as gross income? Please advise.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
ChristyW

Can you claim my father as a dependent if he receives a retirement benefit 1099-R?

Maybe, it depends on how much gross income your father received. "Gross income is any kind of income that is taxable. Taxable income includes wages, unemployment and taxable pensions. Generally, Social Security is nontaxable."

Yes, his retirement income that is taxable is considered gross income. 

Other factors to consider are listed in this link, but don't worry, TurboTax will ask you additional questions to help determine if your father can be claimed as a dependent: https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/5187060

View solution in original post

2 Replies

Does he live with you?
ChristyW

Maybe, it depends on how much gross income your father received. "Gross income is any kind of income that is taxable. Taxable income includes wages, unemployment and taxable pensions. Generally, Social Security is nontaxable."

Yes, his retirement income that is taxable is considered gross income. 

Other factors to consider are listed in this link, but don't worry, TurboTax will ask you additional questions to help determine if your father can be claimed as a dependent: https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/5187060

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies