turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can I write off General Labor without 1099 forms?

I am a YouTuber who films videos. I have used actors in my videos and I only pay cash ($50 each) to about 200 people in 2015... which equals a great amount. I only pay cash but I have my videos to prove that I did infact make a video, can I write this off in general labor?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
PatriciaV
Employee Tax Expert

Yes, you may report contract labor as a business expense on Schedule C even if you did not create Form 1099-MISC for those payments.

The easiest way to to find Schedule C in TurboTax is to use the Search box at the top right side of the TurboTax header. Enter "schedule c", hit Enter, then click on "jump to schedule c". This will take you directly to the start of this section.

Or go to My Account >> Tools >> Topic Search. Type in "schedule c", then click the topic in the list.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
DriverCam

I'm in Dallas, can I be in your videos 🙂

HaHa

LindaS5247
Expert Alumni

Yes, you can still deduct this contract labor on your Schedule C as a business expense.

If you are using TurboTax Online:

1. Open (continue) your return if it's not already open
  2. Inside TurboTax, search for schedule c and select the Jump to link in the search results.
  3. Answer Yes to Did you have any self-employment income or expenses? and follow the instructions to set up your business
    • If you land on the Your 2022 self-employed work summary screen, edit or review the business that has contract labor. If you don’t see Contract labor listed in the Expenses section, scroll down to Add expenses for this work
  4. On the What kind of expenses did you have for [business]? screen, scroll down to Less common expenses (select the down arrow if needed)
  5. Scroll down and select Contract labor
  6. Scroll down and select Continue at the bottom of the screen
  7. On the Here's your [business] info screen, scroll down to the Expenses category and select Start next to Contract labor
  8. On the Let’s enter the contract labor expenses for your [business] work screen, enter the Description(s) and Amount(s) and select Continue to save the info

If you are using the Download/CD version:

1. Open (continue) your return if it isn't already open
  2. Inside TurboTax, search for schedule c and select the Jump to link in the search results.
  3. Answer Yes to Did you have any income and expenses for a business in 2022? and follow the instructions to set up your business
  4. On the Your [business] screen, scroll down to Business Expenses, and select Start/Update next to Other Common Business Expenses
  5. On the Business Expenses screen, select Start next to Contract Labor
    • Depending on your version of TurboTax, you might find this after you select Start next to All other expenses on the Business Expenses screen
  6. On the Enter Contract Labor Expenses screen (or the Enter Your Business Expenses screen), enter the total of your contract labor expenses
  7. Select Continue when finished

Click here  for additional information on reporting expenses on Schedule C.

Click here for more information on reporting Self Employed Business expenses.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies