turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can I make a large SEP-IRA contribution using W-2 income? I'm an independent contractor and it's from a NQSO. I paid FICA taxes. Boxes 11,12 are empty on my W-2.

Presumably, I would adjust Non-Farm Self-Employment Income to my W-2 amount. Any insight on this would be hugely appreciated.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
ThomasM125
Employee Tax Expert

Can I make a large SEP-IRA contribution using W-2 income? I'm an independent contractor and it's from a NQSO. I paid FICA taxes. Boxes 11,12 are empty on my W-2.

You can only make a SEP-IRA contribution through your employer. If your income is reported on a W-2 form, only the company that issued the W-2 could contribute money to a SEP-IRA set up on your behalf. You may be able to make a deductible contribution to your own IRA, however.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thanks for the thoughtful answer. It's only some of my income. I have other income. 

How about a Solo 401k then? I guess what I'm not getting past is that I am not employed by the company. Have't been for years. Why can't I contribute as my own employer? 

AmyC
Employee Tax Expert

The Small Business and Self-Employed Tax Center includes Retirement Plans. If you have positive business income you can contribute. Choose a plan that suits your business and go for it! Both links have great information.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies