gina19960506

Can I get the social security tax and medicare tax return too?

I am an F-1 student in OPT status. While I was filing for the 2018 tax return, it only gives me the federal income tax return. I am just wondering is it possible to get social security and medical tax return too? If yes, how should I do that ?

TaxGuyBill

No, you can not get the Social Security and Medicare taxes refunded.

Because you have been in the US for 6 or more calendar years, you are a Resident Alien.

As a Resident Alien, you are subject to Social Security and Medicare taxes, which is why your employer withheld them from your pay.  You would not be refunded them.

TaxGuyBill

We first need to determine if you are a "Nonresident Alien" or a "Resident Alien".
What year did you arrive in the US on your F-1 visa?
Have you been in the US every year since then?
Are you married?  If so, is your spouse a US Citizen or Green Card holder?

Your question is a bit unclear.  Did your employer withhold Social Security and Medicare taxes on your W-2?
gina19960506

I do not know if I have a nonresident alien or resident alien since I have been studied in US for seven years. I am an international student who came to United States for study from high school, which is September 2011. I only go back to my country during winter and summer break (totally around 5 months a year). I am single with F-1 visa right now. And yes, my employer withhold ssn and medicare taxes on my W-2. If there any chances that I can have those taxes return to me since I already been in United Stated for more than 5 years?
TaxGuyBill