turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can i deduct medicare part b premiums deducted from my social security benefits

i want to make sure i am entering this correctly. Should the information from box 3 on the SSA-1099 go where the medicare b question is
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies
MargaretL
Expert Alumni

Medicare Part B is tax deductible.  If that information is listed on your form 1099-SSA, Turbo Tax will automatically carry the amount to the Schedule A, medical expenses section.

Otherwise, voluntary Medicare B premiums you paid in 2016 are qualified medical expenses.     

1. Federal Taxes
  2. Deductions and Credits
  3. Scroll down to Medical, select Medical Expenses, enter the total amount for all medical insurance premiums that you paid

Note: Medicare part D, a voluntary prescription drug insurance premiums can also be included as medical expenses.                       

wilsont191
Returning Member

Hi, I thought your reply was the closest answer to my question but I need to clarify additional info with you. I need an answer asap for the following: Regarding my 2019 Form SSA-1099, the description of amount in box 3 section only deducts the Medicare Part B premiums from my benefits. However, I do have Medicare Part D premiums also but I pay that separately. Therefore, do I need to add the Part D amount to the Part B amount listed on the form and enter it together when filling out my taxes? I am not itemizing so if I can't do that, I won't get credit for the Part D amount. Please let me know today if possible since I have to submit my taxes tomorrow. Thank you for your assistance!

how do i deduct the premiums if i don't itemize

BillM223
Expert Alumni

The answer is that you don't deduct the premiums if you don't itemize.

However, TurboTax encourages you to add them anyway, because a few states have more liberal deductions than the IRS, so maybe that will work out for you.

@oviewbeach

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
dmertz
Level 15

... unless you are self-employed and can take a self-employed health insurance deduction for the amount of the Medicare Part B premiums paid.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies