Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can I contribute to Roth IRA before accumulating the earned income?

Hello, I am thinking of contributing to my 2021 Roth IRA. I read that you cannot contribute more than your earned income. However, what if I want to contribute at the beginning of the year, meaning before I have received enough earned income?

For example, say I want to contribute $6000 in Feb 2021 for my 2021 Roth IRA, but I have not earned that amount yet--it's money I have saved over the past years. Can I still make this contribution and it won't incur a fee as long as by the end of the year I earn the same amount or more in earned income?

Thank you

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DanaB27
Expert Alumni

Yes, if you expect to earn at least $6,000 yearly in 2021 then you can contribute the $6,000 to your Roth IRA for the year 2021 in Feb 2021.

If you for some reason earn less than the $6,000 in 2021 then to avoid the 6% tax on excess contributions, you have withdraw:

• the excess contributions from your IRA by the due date of your individual income tax return (including extensions); and
  • any income earned on the excess contribution.
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

1 Reply
DanaB27
Expert Alumni

Yes, if you expect to earn at least $6,000 yearly in 2021 then you can contribute the $6,000 to your Roth IRA for the year 2021 in Feb 2021.

If you for some reason earn less than the $6,000 in 2021 then to avoid the 6% tax on excess contributions, you have withdraw:

• the excess contributions from your IRA by the due date of your individual income tax return (including extensions); and
  • any income earned on the excess contribution.
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies