turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

geohoppe

Can I back out of a 2018 Roth conversion?

Thinking that the deadline for 2017 Roth conversions was April 15, 2018,I did one in January 2018. deadline was December  31 2017. With the new tax law I can no longer back out of conversion , is there any thing else I can do so that I would not need to pay taxes on that conversion because my income in 2018 will be larger than 2017?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply

Can I back out of a 2018 Roth conversion?

Hi, Geo!

Unfortunately, you're correct that the deadline for conversions was December 31, 2017. The only way you could get around this is if funds were withdrawn by December 2017 even though they weren't deposited until January 2018. If that is not the case, the conversion is effective for the 2018 tax year. If your income is going to be higher in 2018, consider contributing to a traditional IRA in 2018 to lower your taxable income and offset the Roth conversion. 2018 tax rates are lower, so that should help as well.

If you still want to make a regular contribution to a Roth IRA for 2017 to take advantage of growing that money tax free while you are in a lower income tax bracket, you still have until April 17, 2018 to contribute. Just be sure to tell your financial institution that it is for the 2017 tax year.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies