turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

bkrogh022

Is uncovered 1099-B transaction. Need to choose entry X for Sales Category for 8949 but TurboTax flags my entries. There is a lot more to this question?

I owned shares in Company A which was bought out by Company B. As part of the buyout, I received $2.30 for each share of Company A that I owned. I received a 1099-B for this transaction. There were three line items. One for long term covered shares (reported to the IRS), one for short term covered shares (also reported), and one for “uncovered” shares (which were definitely long term). For the two covered transactions, which the Basis was reported to the IRS, the sales proceeds equaled the cost basis. For the uncovered share transaction, only the sales proceed is listed. Also on the 1099-B there is reference to Applicable check boxes for Form 8949. For the uncovered transaction, there is an X, for the long term covered transaction there is a D, and for the short term transaction it is A. It appears I need to enter this info as part of figuring out entries for Schedule D. I have successfully entered the information into TurboTax for the two covered transactions, but not so for the uncovered one.    

So my questions are:

1.       Why is it that the cost basis equals the sales proceeds for the two transactions, when my actual cost basis is different? Does this have to do the way a company buyout is viewed?

2.       What do I do about the uncovered transaction? Do I assume the cost basis is the same as the sales proceeds as was done for the other two transactions and just enter that on Schedule D and/or 8949? Or do I need to divine a cost basis from when the shares were bought 20+ years ago and for which I have no record? When attempting to enter information into TurboTax for the uncovered transaction, I get flagged for not entering the cost basis for box 1e. Then after choosing the X for the Sale Category, which is defined as unknown holding period, I am prompted to choose Long term or Short term type of gain or loss. So do I choose long term because I know personally that it is long term?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
TaxLady

Is uncovered 1099-B transaction. Need to choose entry X for Sales Category for 8949 but TurboTax flags my entries. There is a lot more to this question?

Brokers were not required to report cost basis before 2011, so any shares bought before that date are "Non-covered".  Yours will be long term (Box E), you can use "various" for the date acquired, but you will need to do the best you can to reconstruct what you paid for those shares originally.  You can find price history information on financial websites, which might help.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies