Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How to roll over 401k to IRA? No option for conversion to IRA. Change will not save. Reverts back to taking distribution and recording as ordinary income.

Premier will not allow conversion from 401k to IRA. Reverts back to cash out.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

How to roll over 401k to IRA? No option for conversion to IRA. Change will not save. Reverts back to taking distribution and recording as ordinary income.

Enter a 1099-R here:

Federal Taxes,
Wages & Income
I’ll choose what I work on (if that screen comes up),
Retirement Plans & Social Security,
IRA, 401(k), Pension Plan Withdrawals (1099-R).

OR  Use the "Tools" menu (if online version under My Account) and then "Search Topics" for "1099-R" which will take you to the same place.

Be sure to choose which spouse the 1099-R is for if this is a joint tax return.
Be sure to pick the correct 1099-R type: Standard 1099-R, CSA-1099-R, CSF-1099-R, RRB-1099-R.

(If box 7 has a code “G” it will automatically be a trustee-to-trustee rollover).

Answer no to the two Roth questions, the default is a Traditional IRA.

[NOTE: When you get to the "Your 1099-R Entries" screen where you can add another 1099-R, use "continue" to keep going as there are additional interview questions after that screen in most cases. You can always return as shown above.]

It will show as income on the summary screen which shows gross income, not taxable income.

The income will be reported on line 4a on the 1040 form with the word “ROLLOVER” next to it if it was a rollover.

The taxable amount will go on line 4b.  In the case of a rollover, that amount will be zero.

====

Why is Qualified Disaster Distribution appearing even though i said no?

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/7253580

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

View solution in original post

7 Replies
DanaB
Expert Alumni

What code is in box 7?

Is it a Trad IRA, or a Roth?

Box 7 = G

You said "conversion", please elaborate.

Did you convert to a Roth IRA or roll into a Traditional IRA?

What is in box 2a?
Is anything in box 5?
**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

taxable = $0; no rollover to Roth; then question what type disaster????

conversion 401k to traditional IRA; box 2a = $0; box 5 = $0

Enter a 1099-R here:

Federal Taxes,
Wages & Income
I’ll choose what I work on (if that screen comes up),
Retirement Plans & Social Security,
IRA, 401(k), Pension Plan Withdrawals (1099-R).

OR  Use the "Tools" menu (if online version under My Account) and then "Search Topics" for "1099-R" which will take you to the same place.

Be sure to choose which spouse the 1099-R is for if this is a joint tax return.
Be sure to pick the correct 1099-R type: Standard 1099-R, CSA-1099-R, CSF-1099-R, RRB-1099-R.

(If box 7 has a code “G” it will automatically be a trustee-to-trustee rollover).

Answer no to the two Roth questions, the default is a Traditional IRA.

[NOTE: When you get to the "Your 1099-R Entries" screen where you can add another 1099-R, use "continue" to keep going as there are additional interview questions after that screen in most cases. You can always return as shown above.]

It will show as income on the summary screen which shows gross income, not taxable income.

The income will be reported on line 4a on the 1040 form with the word “ROLLOVER” next to it if it was a rollover.

The taxable amount will go on line 4b.  In the case of a rollover, that amount will be zero.

====

Why is Qualified Disaster Distribution appearing even though i said no?

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/7253580

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies