turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Where on the NJ State Return do you adjust for a withdrawal due to an excess contribution to a traditional IRA that was returned in the same year?

Currently Line 19a is reporting this as taxable.  The withdrawal is not taxed on the federal return.  See details.

I made an excess contribution of $6500 to a traditional Rollover IRA in 2017.  The excess amount was returned in 2017, but only $6414, resulting in a $86 loss.  The 1099 R - Box 1 = $6414 and Box 7 = "8".  Although the Federal 1040 does not tax me on the $6414, the NJ 1040 is treating it as a withdrawal and taxing me on it.  

Two questions:

1. Does NJ tax you on the return of excess contributions.  The Fed does not.
  2. What adjustment do I need to make in either the NJ 1040 or Fed 1040 to avoid being taxed on the NJ 1040?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Where on the NJ State Return do you adjust for a withdrawal due to an excess contribution to a traditional IRA that was returned in the same year?

You neglected to put Yes, for the IRA checkmark in Box 7.

View solution in original post

23 Replies

You neglected to put Yes, for the IRA checkmark in Box 7.

Thank you for your assistance; however I am not sure where you are referring to.  Do you mean on the Federal return when you are entering the 1099- R information or on the NJ Return?  I don't see a place to check a "Yes".  Please assist.

all tax documents are entered in the Federal section and information flows to the state returns.
Your 1099-R has the IRA box checked; you must tell TurboTax that.
I don't remember the exact prompt that is used by the program.

go back to the 1099-R and click Update and Edit.

I am in the Fed return now.  On the 1099-R, Box 7 = 8, and I checked "IRA/SEP/SIMPLE.  Is there something else I should be checking as the NJ is still making this taxable.

are you saying you had already entered it as checkmarked ?

My 1099-R has a "X" in the IRA/SEP/SIMPLE BOX. So I have that entered in TurboTax. If I uncheck that box, then the withdrawal is not taxable on the NJ return. I am not sure that I should uncheck the box.

what is your taxable amount in box 2a  ?

Yes.  I already had the check mark.  Is there a problem with TurboTax

Box 2a = 0

The fed 1040 shows the amount as non-taxable

The Box 1 amount ($6414)  is getting carried forward to the NJ return as being taxable

I hear you ! I tried this in another tax program and got the result you're looking for, No tax in Fed or NJ.
I'm not sure what the issue is with TurboTax.

So your saying it might be my version of TurboTax?  If so, who can I contact?
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies