turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

romoc4

Both my girlfriend’s and my social security numbers appear on our Form 1098, do we both report it on our individual returns or does only one of us have to file it?

On my return, I already followed the instructions of “Are you the Co-Borrower of the Loan and Pay Half or a Portion” and I checked out the box that says both our names and socials appear and followed that also. We’re just curious if she has to do the same or me just doing it is enough?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
HelenaC

Both my girlfriend’s and my social security numbers appear on our Form 1098, do we both report it on our individual returns or does only one of us have to file it?

It depends who paid. Only the person who actually paid the interest/property taxes can take the deduction. If you did not pay 100% of the mortgage interest, you can not deduct 100% of the mortgage interest. If both of you paid 50%, then you would both report your respective amounts paid on your income tax returns.

Please click on the following TurboTax FAQ: How do I deduct mortgage interest if I co-owned the home?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies