romoc4

Both my girlfriend’s and my social security numbers appear on our Form 1098, do we both report it on our individual returns or does only one of us have to file it?

On my return, I already followed the instructions of “Are you the Co-Borrower of the Loan and Pay Half or a Portion” and I checked out the box that says both our names and socials appear and followed that also. We’re just curious if she has to do the same or me just doing it is enough?

HelenaC

It depends who paid. Only the person who actually paid the interest/property taxes can take the deduction. If you did not pay 100% of the mortgage interest, you can not deduct 100% of the mortgage interest. If both of you paid 50%, then you would both report your respective amounts paid on your income tax returns.

Please click on the following TurboTax FAQ: How do I deduct mortgage interest if I co-owned the home?