turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

kenreb50

Bailey settlement retirement benefits? I know my NC State Teacher's Retirement $ is not taxable by the state because of a "Bailey" something. I don't know how to answer

I don't know how to answer this question on Turbo Tax.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Bailey settlement retirement benefits? I know my NC State Teacher's Retirement $ is not taxable by the state because of a "Bailey" something. I don't know how to answer

On a page or 3  after the 1099-R in the Federal section...you will see the page below.

Select "Bailey settlement" and put the value of box 2a  into the box below labeled as the "North Carolina Distribution Amount" (or the calculated federally taxable amount of box 1 if 2a is blank on your 1099-R form).

The value in that box called as the "North Carolina Distribution Amount" is what will be subtracted form your Federal AGI on the NC tax return once the "Bailey" button is selected.

During the NC Q&A interview later in the NC-software, there is a question about Bailey Benefits on a W-2......you didn't get a W-2 for that so that question does not apply to you..... so don't use it.

1099R_NorCar_2014.png

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*

View solution in original post

2 Replies

On a page or 3  after the 1099-R in the Federal section...you will see the page below.

Select "Bailey settlement" and put the value of box 2a  into the box below labeled as the "North Carolina Distribution Amount" (or the calculated federally taxable amount of box 1 if 2a is blank on your 1099-R form).

The value in that box called as the "North Carolina Distribution Amount" is what will be subtracted form your Federal AGI on the NC tax return once the "Bailey" button is selected.

During the NC Q&A interview later in the NC-software, there is a question about Bailey Benefits on a W-2......you didn't get a W-2 for that so that question does not apply to you..... so don't use it.

1099R_NorCar_2014.png

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*

....added the picture of the selection page above...
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies