Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

If a form asks me for my parent's social security number, but they don't have one, what should I do?

I'm required to file form 8615 because I received taxable scholarships for college but it asks me for my parents' social security number, which they don't have. Since I can't move on without completing this step, what should I do? I also worked during 2018 while attending college and started a full time job in October 2018 after I stopped going to college so would I qualify as independent instead?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
JulieR
Expert Alumni

If a form asks me for my parent's social security number, but they don't have one, what should I do?

Our best advice is to leave the space blank if it will let you or enter dummy social security numbers for your parents. You could enter 999-88-9999 and 999-87-9999 as "dummy" social security numbers so you can finish your return.  Then you must print the return and "white out" the dummy social security numbers and write in that space "NRA".  Then you will need to mail your return. You cannot e-file.

For instruction about how to print and mail your return, use the following link. https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3401713 

View solution in original post

4 Replies
JulieR
Expert Alumni

Our best advice is to leave the space blank if it will let you or enter dummy social security numbers for your parents. You could enter 999-88-9999 and 999-87-9999 as "dummy" social security numbers so you can finish your return.  Then you must print the return and "white out" the dummy social security numbers and write in that space "NRA".  Then you will need to mail your return. You cannot e-file.

For instruction about how to print and mail your return, use the following link. https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3401713 

Hal_Al
Level 15

As to your 2nd question; "would I qualify as independent instead?"

Simple answer: Yes, most likely.

For full rules, see https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tools/tax-tips/Family/Rules-for-Claiming-a-Dependent-on-Your-Tax-Ret...

How can you be your parent's dependent, if your parent doesn't even have a SS #? If your parent isn't filing a return, you can't be his dependent.

ZJG

Hello, i kind of also have the same question. If a form asks me for my parent's social security number, but they don't have one, what should I do? I dont work and this is my first year of college, but i don't want to put anyone in danger and i have to fill out a 1098t form. What should i do?

ThomasM125
Expert Alumni

You would just enter "NA" for not available. This might require you to mail the form in, as opposed to filing it electronically though.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies