turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

dianecone

If I had a 401k that I directly rolled over into my new employer's 401K, how does this need to be reported? I did not receive a 1099R

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
Carl
Level 15

If I had a 401k that I directly rolled over into my new employer's 401K, how does this need to be reported? I did not receive a 1099R

If *you* never touched the money, no 1099-R is issued and you have absolutely nothing to report concerning the rollover. It's referred to as a trustee-to-trustee transfer, and no reporting is necessary or required.
dmertz
Level 15

Carl comment is referring to a transfer of one IRA to another, not to the movement of a 401(k).  If either the old employer's plan or the new employer's plan was really a 401(k), a Form 1099-R is *required* to be issued by the old employer's plan and is required to be reported on your tax return.  Are you sure that these were 401(k) plans?

If either plan is a 401(k) plan, contact the old plan administrator to obtain the missing Form 1099-R.
DawnC0
Intuit Alumni

As long as you did a 'direct rollover' or a 'trustee to trustee' transfer and never had the money, there are no tax implications to you for 2017.   You may wish to confirm this was how the transfer was done.  You would have completed paperwork and both your former and new employers' plans will have this information.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies