Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

nub340

Are Taxable Roth IRA Conversions Counted as Income for Covered California Benefit Calculation?

I'm recently self-employed and have very little income this year. Well under the $20,121 minimum required to qualify for Covered CA benefits in 2023. However, I do not wish to lose my current Covered CA health insurance plan and be forced to go on Medi-Cal. 

To make it easy, let's say by the end of the year I earn $10,000 in regular self-employment income. Could I convert $11,000 of my IRA to a Roth IRA in order to generate $21,000 of total income and therefore qualify for Covered CA and keep my current plan?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

Are Taxable Roth IRA Conversions Counted as Income for Covered California Benefit Calculation?

"Retirement income" counts for Covered CA.  Since a Roth conversion is a withdrawal from an IRA, it likely counts as income for this purpose.

https://www.coveredca.com/support/financial-help/what-counts-as-income/

dmertz
Level 15

I believe that this is based on the MAGI as defined in the Affordable Care Act.  As indicated in the reference that Opus 17 provided, the ACA MAGI includes the taxable amount of a Roth conversion (retirement income).

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies