turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Are employer contributions to a solo 401k completely deductible? And for a sole proprietor are employee and employer contributions all deducted?

For example, if I am a sole prop with no employees and earn $100k this year, I can: Contribute $17k to solo 401k as an employee Contribute $20k to solo 401k as an employer (~20% of $100k) And then deduct $37k on my taxes on line 28 of the 1040?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
dmertz
Level 15

Are employer contributions to a solo 401k completely deductible? And for a sole proprietor are employee and employer contributions all deducted?

If the $100,000 is net profit, 20% of $100,000 as an employer contribution is a bit too high because of the amount that goes to self-employment taxes.  You must first subtract the deductible portion of self-employment taxes, then multiply by 20%.  The result works out to $18,587 of employer contribution (or slightly more if you max out Social Security tax due to also having another job).  However, for 2018 the regular elective deferral limit is $18,500, so your maximum combined limit on Schedule 1 line 28 would be $37,087 (assuming no elective deferrals or Roth contributions to another employer's qualified retirement plan that would use up part of the $18,500).  TurboTax calculates the maximum for you if you mark the Maximize box for an individual 401(k) (and you make no elective deferrals or Roth contributions to another employer's plan).

Use your Intuit Account to sign in to TurboTax.
By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies