Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

randcbean

Should turbotax change entry from Retired or retainer pay of the uniformed services of the US to Federal government pension?

On the form "Where is This Distribution From" checked "Retired or retainer pay of the uniformed services of the US" and clicked continue, however when I go back the entry is changed to "Federal government pension". 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Should turbotax change entry from Retired or retainer pay of the uniformed services of the US to Federal government pension?

(Note: I changed your .docx to a picture....not everyone has Word)

Yes...several states do that.  Not a particular problem, other than confusing people to no end.

The Uniformedservices/Military pension, is  a Federal pension.  The actual AZ tax return doesn't distinguish between the two.

The extra selection is there because of all the questions people have had in the past, that ask whether their Military/uniformed service pension is Federal or not...so they (TTX) put in the extra selection, even though it does the same thing in the AZ return.  

Then it confuses others like you.  Damned if they do..damned if they don't.

Yes, we've complained before that it sure would be nice if they were able to "keep" the button selected so it doesn't confuse people. but no success so far

Some of the other selections may revert to other selections too, but I'm not familiar with all of the AZ pension options.

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*

View solution in original post

4 Replies

(Note: I changed your .docx to a picture....not everyone has Word)

Yes...several states do that.  Not a particular problem, other than confusing people to no end.

The Uniformedservices/Military pension, is  a Federal pension.  The actual AZ tax return doesn't distinguish between the two.

The extra selection is there because of all the questions people have had in the past, that ask whether their Military/uniformed service pension is Federal or not...so they (TTX) put in the extra selection, even though it does the same thing in the AZ return.  

Then it confuses others like you.  Damned if they do..damned if they don't.

Yes, we've complained before that it sure would be nice if they were able to "keep" the button selected so it doesn't confuse people. but no success so far

Some of the other selections may revert to other selections too, but I'm not familiar with all of the AZ pension options.

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*
randcbean

Appreciate the detailed answer, eliminates the confusion that I was doing something wrong.   Thanks again

My mom gets half of my dad's uniformed services pay as part of their divorce decree. For the first time doing her taxes, I checked the "retired or retainer pay of the uniformed services of the US..." box.  In the end, she was getting a small refund. Then I rethought that check box. I deleted the return for AZ and redid it, NOT checking that box. This time, she owed hundreds of dollars. If it doesn't matter, why did her return change so drastically? (an $800+ swing from getting money back to owing)

DMarkM1
Expert Alumni

AZ excludes military retirement pay from AZ taxable income.  If the box is checked identifying the income as military retirement pay then it is not taxed.  

Further, according to the Arizona Revised Statutes as extracted below, AZ does not indicate the recipient has to be retired military only that the pay received is military retirement pay.    

Benefits, annuities and pensions received as retired or retainer pay of the uniformed services of the United States in amounts as follows:

(a) For taxable years through December 31, 2018, an amount totaling not more than $2,500.

(b) For taxable years beginning from and after December 31, 2018 through December 31, 2020, an amount totaling not more than $3,500.

(c) For taxable years beginning from and after December 31, 2020, the full amount received.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies