Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

any requirement to mail in a 1099R with tax withheld when efiling a 1040

Will be e-filing our 1040 using turbotax but we have 1099 forms with tax withheld.  All data was manually entered on 1040.  Do we need to mail 1099 forms to IRS if they show tax withheld?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Vanessa A
Expert Alumni

The IRS received a copy of your 1099-R from the issuer of the 1099-R.  Generally, you do not send forms to the IRS when you e-file.  It just confuses things unless you are specifically asked to send one.  If you do not send one, this will not trigger an audit.  At most, if they are missing a form they want from you, they would send you a letter asking you to send them that form.  When you do, that is all there is to it.  But as stated above, you do not mail any of these documents to the IRS when you e-file.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

3 Replies

No.   You do not mail anything when you e-file.  It was all done electronically.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

Not sure you are correct about that.  When fed tax is withheld, the IRS generally wants a hard copy of the 1099R form that shows the amount of tax withheld.  I am concerned if I e-file, the IRS may decide to audit me because they haven’t received the 1099R forms showing fed tax withheld.  I have nothing to hide on my return but really don’t want to go through a fed audit if I can avoid it.  

Vanessa A
Expert Alumni

The IRS received a copy of your 1099-R from the issuer of the 1099-R.  Generally, you do not send forms to the IRS when you e-file.  It just confuses things unless you are specifically asked to send one.  If you do not send one, this will not trigger an audit.  At most, if they are missing a form they want from you, they would send you a letter asking you to send them that form.  When you do, that is all there is to it.  But as stated above, you do not mail any of these documents to the IRS when you e-file.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies