Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

DB4

What do I mark when asked "Where is this distribution FROM" if I rolled over retirement account and should not face tax penalty? "fund exempted by Federal law or treaty"?

Of the options given to me, I'm not sure if I choose "neither of the above" or "money from any fund, program or system which is exempted by Federal law or treaty."  I never touched the money, or it would have been taxable, but since it's a direct roll over, it should not be.  I just don't know how to answer the "from" question."
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
IsabellaG
Expert Alumni

What do I mark when asked "Where is this distribution FROM" if I rolled over retirement account and should not face tax penalty? "fund exempted by Federal law or treaty"?

If your 1099-R is marked with distribution code G in box 7, then it will be marked as a direct rollover, and won't be taxed on your federal return.

The "Where is this distribution from?" question is for state income tax purposes. The state wouldn't tax your rollover either.  If you respond with details about your 1099-R, including the state and the distribution code, I can give you more details.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

5 Replies
IsabellaG
Expert Alumni

If your 1099-R is marked with distribution code G in box 7, then it will be marked as a direct rollover, and won't be taxed on your federal return.

The "Where is this distribution from?" question is for state income tax purposes. The state wouldn't tax your rollover either.  If you respond with details about your 1099-R, including the state and the distribution code, I can give you more details.

DB4

The state is GA and the distribution code is G (for a direct rollover).  On the answer choice that says, "money from any fund, program or system which is exempted by Federal law or treaty," I'm not sure if the "from" account qualifies as a "fund/program/system exempted by Federal law." I just know it is exempt as a rollover, not sure if that fund/program itself was exempted by Federal law.  That is why I am confused on whether to mark this option or "none of the above"
IsabellaG
Expert Alumni

Answer "none of the above." The question is about where the pension came from. In other words, what kind of fund it is,  not what you did with it. In other words,  what kind of fund it is if you DIDN'T roll it over.
DB4

Thank you!
IsabellaG
Expert Alumni

You're welcome!
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies