turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Am I considered "covered by a retirement plan at work" when I am already retired and drawing from a pension plan?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
ToddL

Am I considered "covered by a retirement plan at work" when I am already retired and drawing from a pension plan?

Since you don't "work" there anymore, you are not "covered by a retirement plan at work" as far as the employer who is sending you the pension payments is concerned.

If you have a "post-retirement" employment at another employer, you would check this box if iy is checked on the Form W-2 you receive from this employer.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
      ToddL

Since you don't "work" there anymore, you are not "covered by a retirement plan at work" as far as the employer who is sending you the pension payments is concerned.

If you have a "post-retirement" employment at another employer, you would check this box if iy is checked on the Form W-2 you receive from this employer.

I liked the answer, however, the pension payments one receives are not considered "earned income", according to TurboTax. One of the limits to how much you can contribute to an IRA is your earned income. If you do not have any "earned income", you are not permitted to contribute to an IRA.

ToddL

You are absolutely right. The IRS gives you an income tax break for IRAsas long as you are working, earning $$$ and, oh yes, PAYING EMPLOYMENT TAXES.
          dwightcarlson
          Returning Member

Hello

I mistakenly said yes that I was covered by a retirement plan at work but am not because I am no longer working but I ca't find how to change the answer to NO

Thanks, Dwight

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
          Manage cookies