turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Alabama Teachers Retirement is not taxable by State of AL but turbo tax Is not excluding it how do I correct this

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Alabama Teachers Retirement is not taxable by State of AL but turbo tax Is not excluding it how do I correct this

Because Alabama does tax some retirement programs, you need to manually indicate that your retirement distributions are not taxable.

When you go through the Alabama interview, if you have entered a 1099-R of any sort, you will see a screen entitled "About Your Retirement Distributions".

Click the Edit button to the right of the distribution you want to alter.

This should give you a new screen called "Alabama Special Handling of This Distribution".

At the bottom of this screen, if your distribution qualifies to be non-taxable in Alabama, you can answer the question "Is your distribution from one of the pension plan systems that is not taxed by Alabama?" with a "yes".

Then you are returned to the screen with the table of distributions, only this time, you will see that the Alabama income is zero.

[Edited 3/23/2020 11:41 am CDT - removed screenshot references]

View solution in original post

2 Replies

Because Alabama does tax some retirement programs, you need to manually indicate that your retirement distributions are not taxable.

When you go through the Alabama interview, if you have entered a 1099-R of any sort, you will see a screen entitled "About Your Retirement Distributions".

Click the Edit button to the right of the distribution you want to alter.

This should give you a new screen called "Alabama Special Handling of This Distribution".

At the bottom of this screen, if your distribution qualifies to be non-taxable in Alabama, you can answer the question "Is your distribution from one of the pension plan systems that is not taxed by Alabama?" with a "yes".

Then you are returned to the screen with the table of distributions, only this time, you will see that the Alabama income is zero.

[Edited 3/23/2020 11:41 am CDT - removed screenshot references]

I can't get to the screen that ask for About your retirement distribution.  I have completed my Alabama return and gone through review then realized that my pension is being taxed.  I have not filed yet.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies