turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Adjusted 1 moth late for Excess of Contribution ROTH IRA.

After doing all my total of my 3 ROTH accounts,  I took a withdraw from one ROTH IRA account in May 2019 after I filled my 2018 tax return in April 2019.  In Feb 2020 I received the 2019  form 1099R showing a taxable amount, distribution and code J P in BOx 7.  At the time of realizing that I exceed the $5500 limit and start to withdraw, I was already 1 month late.

Without filing an amended 2018 return and now filling this 1099-R,  will I be penalized 10% (early withdraw before age 59) or will I be penalized 6% (excess contribution even it's only there excess of 1 month, not a whole year) ?  if so, will I get IRS letter of penalties several months later? 

any other options I have?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies

A 2019 1099-R with a code "P" or "JP" in box 7 is taxable in 2018, not 2019

You must amend 2018 to report it. The 2018 1099-R interview will say that code P means "Return of contribution taxable in 2017", but the interview will ask if this it a 2018 1099-R or a 2019 1099-R. Say 2019 and the "taxable in 2017" becomes "taxable in 2018" (the year advances by 1 each year).

The returned contribution is not taxable, but any earnings reported in box 2a are taxable and also subject to an 10% penalty of you are under age 59 1/2.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

wait, the 10% penalty will only be on the taxable amount (box 2a) ? and no penalty will be on the Gross Distribution (box1)  the $ amount that I withdrew?

@ndy856 wrote:

wait, the 10% penalty will only be on the taxable amount (box 2a) ? and no penalty will be on the Gross Distribution (box1)  the $ amount that I withdrew?

Correct.  Your original contribution is being returned to you as if it never happened.   Only the earnings are taxable and subject to an early distribution penalty if under age 59 1/2.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

Ok great. This 10% penalty hurts way less than the 6% penalty because it's 6% of Excess Contribution (Principal basis not the gains)  and per year.  So if it takes the IRS to find out 5 years later about it, then it's 6% of that  x5. 

Glad I caught it & take corrective action. 

@ndy856 wrote:

Ok great. This 10% penalty hurts way less than the 6% penalty because it's 6% of Excess Contribution (Principal basis not the gains)  and per year.  So if it takes the IRS to find out 5 years later about it, then it's 6% of that  x5. 

Glad I caught it & take corrective action. 

Actually some people prefer the 6% penalty each year on the  excess amount if it is earning 12% interest.   When they finally remove it with a regular distribution, since the 6% penalty was paid,  the interest (earnings) stay in the account and do not need to be removed - only the original contribution amount must be removed to end the annual 6% penalty.

hmm, that's a good strategy too.  and if they do so before April 15 deadline, then they won't have to be penalized 10% on that 6% interest gains earnings.  Most ROTH custodial give you the option to choose which contribution year to withdraw the excess from. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies